3 DIY Decorative Ideas For Your Apartment

>> Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Decorating can quickly get expensive, whether you're making a new space all your own or breathing a new life into your existing apartment. If you're not eager to break open your budget on new furnishings and decor items, you don't have to give up the idea of decorating. You simply need to learn a few stylish DIY techniques.

A Little Paint and Polish

Image via Flickr by Jonathan Brazil

Paint is kind of expensive, but don't worry; this method doesn't involve painting entire walls. That's good news, especially if you're at some of these Tampa Apartment Rentals. There's no reason to paint perfection, but you can still add pops of color to your rooms. What you need to do is start exploring local secondhand shops for chairs, accent tables, picture frames, and vases. You can even shop at your local dollar store to get these items for surprisingly cheap, or simply recycle some of the items you already own.

From there, a coat of paint will give your pieces brand new life. Painting the insides of clear vases, for instance, gives them a colorful but vintage milk-glass look. If you have a chipped dresser or a scratched kitchen table, all you need are some pieces of sandpaper and a can of paint in a vibrant color. This works for picture frames, bookshelves, and kitchen chairs as well.

A Stylish Sew and Sew

Image via Flickr by MTSOfan

If you're handy with a needle and thread, that's all you need to DIY your home decor ideas. Instead of buying a new couch or living room chair, for instance, head to a fabric store during a big sale. Buy whatever fabric strikes your fancy and sew your own seat covers. You can do the same for throw pillows and curtains, which are both great ways to renew the look of a room without making huge changes.

You can also use fabric scraps to make your own DIY wreaths, picture frames, and centerpieces. Create coasters, covered tables, or wall decor. It's as easy as decoupaging scraps to a piece of cork board or a table top. If you're into more of a hodge-podge style, then sew scraps together into a cute cover or throw.

Put a Stamp on It

Image via Flickr by Eduardo Rodriguez

Rubber stamps are ideal for DIY decor because you can use them on just about anything. Want brand new lampshades without paying a cent? All you have to do is stamp the ones you have now in the design and color you like best. This also works on picture frames, certain table tops, and even certain pictures.

Similarly, if you want to change the look of your walls but don't want to paint or put up paper, you can create your own wall decals. They're sort of like stamps except they aren't permanent, so you can safely remove them when you move out of your apartment. You can also buy them, but it's much more affordable to create sayings, icons, or pictures in the style of your choice.

DIY decorating is fun and fashion-forward, making it easy to change the look of your home without spending a fortune. What are your favorite DIY projects?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 comments:

Adin B June 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I love DIYs and I get excited to do something and see the result and knowing that I made it myself. Right now we are painting the entire walls in our living room for a new fresh look. Still not done, but I am excited to get everything done. walls to paint, bookshelves to paint as well and some old picture frames so I don't have to buy new ones. :)

Nicole Adkisson June 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I love home decor tha't diy. The majority of mine is. Lots of revamped pieces.

Savingwith Saveone June 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I love DIY projects! Being creative is so much fun. I just put up decals on my new bedroom today. I want to find lots of inexpensive DIY ideas to decorate my room. I like the idea of shopping at Dollar stores to get what you need.

Patricia Woolverton June 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Thank you for the ideas. I would love to try making some wall decals.

Jennifer Williams June 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I miss garage selling and finding things to fix up. I plan to start again soon.

Mel Cole June 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Nice chairs! Painting furniture does make a difference to old and weary wood. I am thinking of painting our dining room and I wish it will be realized soon. http://www.lovehomegrowgarden.info/2013/05/31/good-nights-sleep-with-the-perfect-bed/

Cyndie June 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Love the art on the walls

becca June 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM

what wonderful ideas

Michelle Garrett June 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Great DIY tips! Thanks for sharing! I love being able to revamp items I already have to change things up in my home.

Melinda Dunne June 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I really like all the DIY tips but my favorite is the stamp. That really makes the wall pop.

Seny June 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I used to doing DIY crafts and stuff around the house. But when the daughter came, I just couldn't find the time to doing stuff anymore. Maybe one of these days when my schedule clear up a bit. Great tips by the way.

nova hedges June 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I like DYI always, because it gives you the cheapest way to make your adobe look as luxurious as you can without spending too much.

amiable amy June 15, 2013 at 2:22 AM

My favorite DIY project was when I stained the front porch floor. I am ready to stained the floors at the garage anytime soon.

Adin B June 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Back here again mommy. Me, I am still working on painting walls and will be painting bookshelves and reupholstering some chairs too. Weeeeeee... busy me!